Principal Transport Planner vacancy
We are seeking to recruit a Principal Transport Planner to support our growing workload.
As a small, award-winning consultancy we provide our staff with excellent opportunities to get involved in all aspects of our project workload for some of the most prestigious development projects in the south west.
You would be working on the planning and design of schemes for a range of residential, retail, industrial, commercial and mixed-use developments, from site acquisition and scheme inception, through to grant of planning consent and beyond.
· Principal Engineer/Transport Planner;
· or Associate considered for an exceptional candidate, additional experience and/or already professionally qualified.
Purpose of the role:
The role would provide further Transport Planning expertise within AWP’s Development Planning team, with the successful candidate independently leading and delivering a number of transport focused and multi-disciplinary AWP projects simultaneously. This would include the following activities:
· Client care/management
· Representing AWP within wider project teams/public consultation/highway authority negotiations etc.
· Taking responsibility for financial performance of assigned projects, including fee proposals, invoicing etc.
· Co-ordinating inputs from other AWP teams when required and ensuring projects are delivered in line with agreed program/deadlines.
· Maintaining quality and ensuring that transport planning inputs are competed in line with AWP Best Practice.
· Training & mentoring of junior staff, including some line management responsibility.
· Providing technical support to senior management.
· Making a positive contribution to the successful running of the transport team, including inputs to resource planning, training, quality etc
· 2:1 in Civil Engineering, Geography or other relevant subject.
· MSc Transport Planning is advantageous, but not essential.
· Around 8-10 years’ experience working in transport planning in the development industry, ideally in the private sector.
· Professional qualification, or ability to demonstrate progress and commitment towards securing professional qualification (i.e. IEng, CEng through ICE or CIHT, or TPP).
· Relevant experience in undertaking, and latterly leading, work associated with our core transport planning services; (i.e. access strategy, highways input to masterplanning, Transport Assessment, Travel Planning, S106 negotiations, preliminary highway design etc).
· General understanding of other development planning disciplines, including drainage, and the ways in which those interact within a wider project team.
· Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of key highway design guidance and methodologies (MfS, DMRB etc).
· General understanding of infrastructure design processes and the interfaces with transport and development planning.
· Problem solving skills and proven ability to develop and evaluate options for solutions, both in terms of design and strategies to move projects forward.
· Excellent English and written/verbal communication skills
· Excellent numeracy and analytical skills
· Advanced working knowledge of key software, including ARCADY ,PICADY, LINSIG, GIS, Excel etc.
· Experience in contributing to appeal work and knowledge of the appeal process is desirable but not essential.
· Sound commercial awareness.
· Capability in planning and driving forward typical projects independently.
· Proactive character with good organisational & time management skills.
The role will develop and expand over time with responsibilities stepping up with the benefit of greater experience and integration within the AWP team. It is envisaged that the successful candidate will take on greater management and leadership responsibilities of the transport team over the longer-term.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing your qualifications, experience and what you feel you can contribute to the AWP team to Sophie, our Operations Manager. Details are on the right.